The world has continued to evolve amidst the pandemic, with some industries reaching their peak. For example, in retail and commerce, it’s expected that 24.5% of global retail sales will be via e-commerce by 2025, pushing businesses of all sizes, old and new, from any industry to create an e-commerce website of their own.
The future is in e-commerce, and if you have the power to maximize its benefits, then you should take advantage of it. We’ve put together a collection of actionable steps that you should follow if you want to know how to build an e-commerce website.
8 Steps to Building Your E-commerce Website
1. Choose a domain name.
A domain name—also called the URL—is your web address. Select a domain name closely related to your business to help rank well in search engines.
If you’re an esthetician, try to incorporate a related word or phrase, such as “skin clinic,” then integrate it in your domain name, for example, AgnesSkinClinic.com. Be mindful of the top-level domain (TLD) that you will use. In this case, it’s “.com”; however, there are others like “.gov” or “.org.” Choose one that’s appropriate for the nature of your business.
Once you’ve settled with a domain name, you can purchase it and own it using a domain registrar service like GoDaddy, Bluehost, or Google Domains. Just head to one of these websites and enter your business name, and it will tell you if that domain is available. The price will depend on the service, add-on, and the relativity of your domain name. Typically, the more related or easy, the more expensive it is because many businesses want a straightforward domain name.
2. Choose an e-commerce platform.
Your e-commerce platform is where your website will live. E-commerce platforms are the fastest way to launch a full-featured website and give your site expandable functionality.. An e-commerce website builder will typically include features that will add to the functionality of your websites, like secure payment options, shipping labels, email marketing, and multichannel sales support.
3. Design your website’s user interface
Web design is an essential factor in website building, even more so for e-commerce sites. A stunning web design can help give customers a better experience on your site and potentially lead to more sales.
When making web design decisions, the best tip for you is to follow the buyer’s journey and optimize the site according to user experience. Make your website unique and user-friendly. Being user-friendly allows a smooth journey from start to finish, including simple navigation, calls-to-action, links to information pages such as FAQs and the contact page, and responsiveness to smaller screens like mobile phones or tablets.
4. Upload product data to your store
You’re building an e-commerce website to advertise your goods and services, so they should be front-and-center.
- Use product photos and videos taken at different angles and while in use.
- Write product descriptions that cover every detail and can answer any question. Include the name, price, size, weight, material, instructions, etc. Include keywords in product titles and descriptions in relevant areas to achieve better search engine ranking.
- Place the product inventory for each item so both you and your customers can keep track of how many stocks you have left.
5. Add e-commerce features
E-commerce website builders have built-in functions like shipping label printing, tax calculations, payment processing, etc., that can help increase your website’s performance. Here are some features you might want to add to your website.
- Shipping setup. A shipping setup will let you streamline the ordering process. This feature connects orders to shipping software to select couriers and shipping methods and notify customers of their order’s status.
- Payment processing. One of the first things to integrate into your e-commerce website is your payment processing solutions. Most e-commerce website platforms offer payment integrations like PayPal, Bank Transfers, and GCash.
E-Commerce platforms like 天博’s Vessell have these functions built-in, which makes establishing your online storefront easier so that you can widen your reach, improve customer experience, and drive more sales in no time.
6. Set up a blog for inbound marketing.
Create a blog section on your website to increase your search engine ranking. If done right, blog posts can significantly help your marketing strategy. Furthermore, you can repurpose your content via your other social channels and attract prospects from different platforms. The blog posts you release should be insightful and packed with relevant information that your customers want to find out. This will give you the chance to convert them into paying customers later on.
Remember that before launching, you should do several test orders to ensure that the process is seamless. Once you have worked out any troubles you found during testing, you’re ready to open for business. However, it takes time for search engines to locate and index your new online store. Still, you can speed this up by verifying your new e-commerce store in Google’s Search Console and uploading an extensible markup language (XML) sitemap.
8. Optimize for conversions.
Whatever type of website you choose for your business, remember always to optimize it for conversions. Some tips to help you with optimizing your website include:
- Analyzing your data to show you how people behave once they land on your site
- Conducting thorough keyword research to fit with your prospective customers’ user intent
- Producing relevant and insightful content to send a signal to Google that you’re providing more information
- Speeding up page loading time to prevent prospects from waiting
- Getting quality backlinks to signify your site’s credibility
Build Your Website’s Success
Building an e-commerce site, especially if it’s your first time, can be challenging and prove to be somewhat tedious. However, it’s important to remember that with the world shifting to a more digitized market, you should keep up with the trends to stay relevant. Don’t lose your customers!
天博 offers an e-commerce platform builder called Vessell to help businesses like yours scale and grow in a safe and reliable digital space! Furthermore, our experts at 天博 can also accommodate custom website development for specific business needs, so you’re sure to get tailored features that best fit your business. To schedule a consultation with our website development experts, contact us today!